Chugach Mountain Bike Riders is providing a 30-day public notice of its intent to apply for an Alaska Recreational Trail Program grant for the rehabilitation and realignment of the existing 2.5k multiuse trail at Mirror Lake Park. Trail improvements will be focused nearest the main trailhead and picnic area. Public Comment or Opposition can be submitted at the methods listed above. The deadline for public comment is April 20, 2021.
We have raised $185k out of our $215k goal to build a trailhead bike park at Mirror Lake. We need to order the skills features and prefabricated jumps by MID-MARCH, so they will arrive in time for our July-August build window.
Our final concept design is truly world-class. A sweet pump track, upgrades to the multiuse trail near the lake, and a full spectrum of skills and jump lines.
Major donors include the Municipality of Anchorage, Matanuska Electric Association, the Pressman Family Foundation and CMBR members.
Pick. Click. Give! Our 2021 plans include a pump track, skills loop, and jump lines at Mirror Lake. Your donations to Chugach Mountain Bike Riders make it happen!
Roster is posted here:
Bib pickup is 11am-1pm on Saturday Dec 26th. Please be at the start line 2 minutes before your race time.
Beginner course has been groomed, Expert loops have some ungroomed sections. Enjoy!
TEN THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THE MERRY MASHER!
1. FAT BIKES RACE FIRST. Mirror Lake trails, though packed, are not as hard as those in town. Plus bikes are allowed but will be racing after all the fat bikes have left to minimize ruts early in the race. Please let us know ahead of time if you’re on a tire smaller than 3.6″ wide.
2. TWO OPEN CLASSES FOR AWARDS. We have medals for the top 3 finishers for each course (the Beginner/Standard 5-mile course and the Sport/Expert 7-mile course) We forgot to ask gender and age during registration, so we’ll try to figure that out on race day, but for now, it’s a two-category race.
3. EXPERTS RACE AT NOON. Sport and Beginners follow. We expect to start everyone 1 minute apart between noon and 1:30 pm.
4. COVID MEANS NO SPECTATORS. We do, however, need safety volunteers at many intersections, so shoot us an email and we’ll give you an assignment that involves cheering your loved one!
5. MASKS ON WITHIN 10 FEET. You know the drill.
6. NO GROUPS LARGER THAN 10. Be at the start 2 minutes before your assigned time, not earlier. Start order will be posted on Christmas.
7. THE EXPERT LOOP IS TECHNICAL. There is a rollable 3′ drop onto the lake. Experts should be able to launch it at high speed. There are other fun features to excite you.
8. THE BEGINNER LOOP ALSO HAS CHALLENGING CLIMBS. Not as many as the expert loop, but with this new snow you will be enjoying a good cardio workout.
9. WE PROBABLY FORGOT SOMETHING.
10. THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE TRAILS!
2020 Mirror Lake Merry Masher Winter Bike Race artwork by Canvas and Clay in AK.
We are happy to announce Ben’s Bike Playground, a bike park for Mirror Lake! Construction is scheduled for Summer 2021!
Ben’s Bike Playground will include a pump track, skills loop and jump lines to create a terrific spot for beginner and intermediate riders to hone their mountain bike skills!
As of November 2020, CMBR has raised over $160k with a goal of $215k to fully build this bike park. Donations are being accepted through GiveLively.
A pump track teaches riders to gain free speed by weighting and unweighting, or “pumping” their bike over rollers and berms instead of pedaling. Take a look at this great new wooded pump track at Cope Park in Juneau!
A skills loop on the other hand is a series of balance features, teaching riders to stay on their line. We envision building our through the woods, and not in the field, but here’s a good example from Costa Rica.
And jump lines? Well, here’s a cool jump line from Seward’s Bike Park!
A Message from Chugach Mountain Bike Riders:
Hi folks, we’re bummed about the rise of COVID cases in our community and the new Muni COVID “4-week reset” order, but we understand the need, and have been requested to limit outings to our households and “small chosen group of other individuals.”
At the mayor’s request, we have decided to suspend the rest of the CMBRkids season. CMBRkids will not be meeting in August.
We apologize for the disruption to what has been such a fun and well attended season, but know that you, as well as we, value the safety of our community.
We look forward to working again with you next summer and please, now that you–or at least your kids, are familiar with the Mirror Lake trails, get out and enjoy this great outdoor resource in Chugiak.
Remember, your CMBR membership is good for the rest of the year. If this “reset” is successful, we are open to sponsoring a mountain bike program for the kids in September. Let us know if any of you would like to help organize a fall CMBR kids session, it will only run if we have enough volunteers to safely manage the kids.
Thanks, and remember to get out and ride!